Current announcements and notices from JDW
REQUIRED CLASS ATTIRE
REQUIRED CLASS ATTIRE - To avoid embarrassment to your child, please adhere to the dress code.
Young ladies are required to wear: a conservative dress or dress skirt (not more than three inches above the knee)
and top; flats or low heels. Cotillion and Club Cotillion should wear short white gloves.
Gentlemen are required to wear: a blazer, sport coat, or traditional suit; dress shirt and tie; dress slacks; and
brown or black dress shoes.
NOTE: Additional items may be noted for individual programs. Please refer to your specific cotillion class page at
FIND A COTILLION for more details.
The following items are not acceptable class attire.
Footless leggings or tights
Midriffs or cropped tops
Chaperone Guidelines and Responsibilities
We appreciate all the parents who indicated an interest to chaperone and will do our best to schedule as many as possible.
Parents that are not chaperoning are welcome to observe classes (please respect the dress code of the facility).
DRESS CODE - follow the general guidelines for our students
- Ladies should wear an appropriate suit, dress or skirt (gloves not required)
- Gentlemen should wear a coat and tie with dress slacks
- Theme Parties – you may follow the dress code or dress for the theme
ARRIVAL TIME – arrive 20 minutes before class begins
- Check-in with the instructor
- Assist with supervision of arriving and departing students
GREETING THE STUDENTS – students entering class will go through a receiving line
- If couples are chaperoning - gentlemen should have the ladies stand to their right
- Student introductions should include: first and last name, a firm handshake, good eye contact and a gesture of respect
- Introduce yourself as Mr., Mrs., Ms., Dr., etc. to the students.
DURING CLASS – you may be seated
- Count the students in the class to determine the number of girls and boys
- If you notice any disruptive or inappropriate behavior, please notify the instructor
- Only one student at a time may use the restroom. If you notice a group leaving together ask them to wait and/or return to class
- Please help us enforce our policy prohibiting video and photography during class (with the exception of the Final Party)
- Please respect our no alcohol policy and refrain from chewing gum
REFRESHMENTS (if served) – approximately 30 minutes after class begins
- Prepare the refreshments (filling glasses ½ to ¾ full is about right)
- Please remain standing behind the table
- Students are instructed to thank you
- Chaperones are formally introduced once all the students are seated
LEAVING CLASS – stay until ALL students are picked up
- Students will form lines and say goodnight to the chaperones; handshakes are not necessary.
- Supervise the departure of the students at the designated exit
- Students are expected to conduct themselves properly outside class; no running or conduct that will disturb others using the facility. Gentlemen may not remove coat or tie
- Again, it is very important that our chaperones stay until all students are picked up
If you cannot attend your scheduled time, please notify your Cotillion Chaperone Coordinator to cancel.
We hope you enjoy the evening. Thank you!
THEME NIGHT COSTUME SUGGESTIONS
Following are ideas for costumes for our THEME NIGHTS. We encourage you to be creative and use your imagination. Please do not go to any great expense! In referencing the list below, please scroll down to find your child's specific THEME as referenced in your invitation and on the website.
Note that although you are in costume for Theme Night, your instructors respectfully request that you act like ladies and gentlemen. Our rules for arriving and departing, introductions to chaperones, taking partners and serving refreshments do not change.
Please no gum, candy cigarettes, cargo or low-rise jeans and no regular casual clothes.
|Poodle skirt||Letter jacket|
|Capris||White or blue button-down shirt|
|Plain white blouse||White T-shirt (no wording)|
|Bobby socks||Rolled-up jeans|
|Saddle shoes or Keds||Greased hair|
|Cat-eye glasses||Cardigan sweater|
|Chiffon scarf||Leather jacket|
|Ring on a chain||Penny loafers|
|Pony tail||High-top sneakers (Vans)|
|Rolled-up jeans||Sunglasses* *Note: Many cotillions do not allow sunglasses; please ask your instructor.|
COUNTRY WESTERN NIGHT
Please no candy cigars or cigarettes and no gum. No cut-off jean shorts. No props such as holsters, toy guns, ropes, etc.
|Denim skirt (no more than 3" above knee)||Chaps|
|Denim jacket||Sheriff badge|
|Cowgirl boots||Cowboy boots|
|Straw hat||Collar tips|
|Broom skirt||Big belt buckle|
|Pearl button up shirt||Bolo tie|
|Plaid shirt||Western shirt|
AROUND THE WORLD NIGHT
This theme celebrates the many customs and cultures that influence not only our social customs in the United States, but the multi-cultural dances presented in the programs. Embracing cultural diversity allows us to understand, appreciate and respect that our world is made up of many cultural differences including, but not limited to: ethnicity, customs, languages, beliefs, traditions, laws, religions, social etiquette, food and clothing.
Today there are 206 Sovereign Nations or Independent States in the world. Each Nation is unique and special, and our Around the World theme parties celebrate these cultural differences. We encourage you to choose a country that speaks to you and create a dress theme that represents that nation. Please do not go to great expense – use your imagination!
The party will include dances from different countries, contests, and exercises on social etiquette customs and differences from some of the nations represented.
ROARING 20s NIGHT
|Long pearls||Argyle socks|
Cotillion Success Story
The following letter was received by Mr. Williams from a Cotillion alumnus who was also one of our Student Assistants.
January 26, 2017
Dear Mr. Williams,
Last night I had one of the biggest presentations of my sales career...an opportunity to bring in over $1,000,000 in new business with a major client. I was in second place, and fighting hard for the win.
I received a call this morning from the CEO. He started by complimenting me on my social and soft skills--something that was lacking with the competition, and that because he felt confident and comfortable around me, that his decision was made--I won the business.
I always knew Cotillion was important, and every day I am reminded of how important people, relationships, and social skills are.
So here's a little pat on the back to you...
Thanks for doing what you do.
All the best,
OUR LATEST SURVEY RESULTS ARE IN!
Each year we ask our families about their experience with Jon D Williams Cotillions. Our 2018-2019 program year Surveys have recently been compiled. We are pleased to share the results with you. Over 10% of our parents and their children complete our survey annually, a statistic of which we are very proud. We are also proud of our results:
Of JDW Cotillion parents:
- 98% say after Cotillion their child knows more about making a good first impression
- 97% believe the Cotillion experience will have a positive impact on their child’s future social relationships and career
- 97% believe Cotillion has strengthened their child’s confidence in unfamiliar situations
- 97% believe Cotillion has had a positive impact on their child’s demonstrated social skills
- 96% say after Cotillion their child is more courteous, considerate and respectful of others
- 96% believe Cotillion has helped their child understand how social skills relate to character
- 97% believe Cotillion improved their child’s communication skills
Of JDW Cotillion students:
- 98% say Cotillion taught them how to make a positive first impression
- 97% indicated an understanding of how social skills relate to character
- 98% believe JDW Cotillions has helped prepare them for their future
- 96% believe JDW Cotillions helped them learn to treat others with more respect
- 93% believe the program gave them more confidence in social and unfamiliar situations
- 95% feel more confident in meeting new people
- 89% feel more confident at the dining table
- 90% say Cotillion made them more aware about making good choices and better decisions
- Over 89% believe dance has taught them more about cooperation and teamwork
- Over 89% wish to return to Cotillion in the following year
Results taken from 2018-2019 national JDW Cotillion surveys.
2021 Donation of $1000 to Feeding America
Thank you to all the families that took the time to fill out our survey during this past season.
We are proud to announce our 2021 donation of $1000 to this year's charity, Feeding America, a national charity which is dedicated to ending childhood and family hunger in America. In appreciation for every completed survey, we donated $1 to this worthwhile organization.